In most counties, there area strict set of fire codes you MUST pass in order to be issued a building permit.
In my experience these are the 10 most often overlooked ways my clients fail their fire code building inspection.
In no particular order:
1. Commercial cooking operation area that hasn't been fire suppression serviced every 6 months.
2. Having an unserviced fire sprinkler system.
3. Using extension cords for permanent purposes.
4. Stairways, aisles, pathways and/or walkways are not clear of obstructions or storage.
5. Having an unmarked or non-visible street address on the front of your building.
6. Hazardous material (chemicals, glasses, solids) that aren't safely stored or are stored without a permit.
7. Not having fire extinguishers visible, operable or present
8. Electrical outlets, circuit breakers panels and junction boxes that are uncovered. Needs appropriate cover plate and have clear access to panels.
9. Emergency lighting units (such as emergency lights * exit signs) aren't woking properly for normal and emergency modes.
10. Exit doors are difficult to open from inside.
There you have it. Make sure you have the above checked off your list in order to save time and money during your construction/building endeavors.
If you have any questions regarding any of the above, feel free to reach out to me personally by email at email@example.com or by phone at (202) 769-1958 and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
For any and all permit expediting needs, City Permit is here for you.